No, this is not all of a sudden becoming a sports blog. However, in the interest of our sports loving readers who may be making the trip to Tempe for the UW vs ASU game, we are going to help you out with a bit of local info for the Tempe area.
So here’s what you need to know to make your trip complete:
Breweries to try:
- Sleepy Dog Brewing – located just a few blocks east of campus. Try their Wet Snout Stout or Monje Azul Belgian Style Blue Agave Ale
- Phoenix Ale Brewery – located near the airport. Try their Camelback IPA, Watermelon Ale, or Fretzy’s Unfiltered Ale. I’ve had all three and they’re all very good!
- Four Peaks Brewing – located right between campus and Sleepy Dog. Their Kilt Lifter was very good and is much like our Manny’s or Mac & Jacks in terms of its widespread popularity.
- Fate Brewing – located in Scottsdale, the furthest brewery we’ll mention. Stopped there for a Candy Bar Milk Stout. If it’s still there, go try it. It’s worth the drive.
- Papago Brewing – North of campus, just across the Salt River and entering into Scottsdale. Their Irish Coffee Milk Stout and Coconut Coffee Stout are two nice beers and their Vanilla Mandarin Wheat is worth a try.
- Cold Beers and Cheeseburgers – Located in Old Town Scottsdale, how can you go wrong with a name like this? You can do flights of local beers while you munch on a delicious burger. You can’t go wrong. Try their Ring of Fire burger or their Rocky Point, or really try any because they’re all delicious!
- Four Peaks – Kill two birds with one stone. Four Peaks also has food service and their burgers are excellent. Try their Popper Burger, it was my favorite.
A few extra notes:
- If you want to try a lot of local beer and not have to go far then you can just go to World of Beer in Tempe located on Mill Ave. There you can try a few offerings from places like San Tan and Sonoran.
- And no matter what you do, make sure you find a way to try Sonoran’s White Chocolate Ale. Whether you buy a bottle of it somewhere or grab a pint at World of Beer doesn’t matter. It’s excellent. Your mouth won’t know what’s going on at first but after a few sips you’ll never want to put it down. After my last trip to Scottsdale I came back with a few bottles in tow.
- If it gets hot and you want to cool down try Sparky’s Old Town Creamery . They currently have a Pumpkin Porter Beer Ice Cream that is excellent.
And last but not least, GO HUSKIES!!!