Ales for ALS:
Loftus Ranches and Hopunion created Ales for ALS to support a very worthy cause – ALS research. They offered participating brewers access to a proprietary hop blend, free of charge, in exchange for participation in Ales for ALS. Each brewery created their own special beers with these hops. Brewery proceeds from sales will be donated to ALS Therapy Development Institute, the world’s leader in ALS research.
About the ALS Therapy Development Institute:
The ALS Therapy Development Institute (ALS TDI) is the world’s leading ALS research organization and aims to discover and develop effective treatments and a cure for ALS. Built by and for patients, the Cambridge, MA based drug development institute operates as a 501c3 nonprofit: combining the optimal entrepreneurial practices of a biotechnology and pharmaceutical company with the passion and urgency of a nonprofit mission.
What is ALS?
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, Lou Gehrig’s disease)
- Progressive neurodegenerative disease leading to paralysis caused by the death of motor neurons in the spinal cord and brain
- No known cure for the disease
- The average person survives only 2-5 years following diagnosis
- ~5,000 people in the US are diagnosed with ALS each year
- ~30,000 people in the US living with ALS today
- Current worldwide population with ALS ~450,000